Note: This site has been discontinued and is intended as a sample of my work only.
The Chesaw Country Store is an old time country store with all the modern conveniences. Chesaw is located in the north central portion of the state of Washington known as the Okanogan Highlands. The Chesaw Country Store is the only grocery/convenience store in town. The next nearest services are either in Tonasket, 28 miles southwest of Chesaw, or Oroville, 20 miles west.
We offer a selection of grocery items, including organic foods; plus beverages, beer, wine, and tobacco products. We also carry hardware, fishing and hunting supplies, household products, and have an excellent automotive selection, along with products required for woodcutting. We feature locally made handcrafted items which are very popular, and there is a selection of souvenir products such as hats, t-shirts, and sweatshirts for adults and children. The Chesaw County Store also offers limited UPS and Fed Ex services, and our customers can order bulk and organic foods from the Azure Standard Catalog.
Serving the communities in the Okanogan Highlands, we carry unleaded fuel, diesel and off-road diesel on a 24 hour cardlock system.
This region is rich in history and recreation, and has become a "new find" for folks from the west side, as well as neighboring states. Not only is the geography of the Okanogan Highlands diverse, but so are its people. This territory was homesteaded in the early 1900s and many of the descendants still reside here. We have ranchers and farmers, small business owners and the seasonally employed. We have retirees and tourists. There are many recreational opportunities in the area, including hiking, hunting, fishing, birding, camping, and winter sports. The Chesaw Fourth of July Rodeo is a well-known annual event, drawing thousands of people.
The unincorporated town of Chesaw is named for a Chinese man named Chee Saw, who, with his Indian wife, lived near an Indian trail fording Myers Creek. After the opening of the area to mining and homesteading, Chesaw quickly developed into a substantial mining town. By 1910 there were forty buildings and about 250 inhabitants.
At one time, Chesaw had two hotels, a large livery barn, a blacksmith shop, two department stores, one hardware store, a barber shop, post office, an assay office, three saloons, a bank, three grocery stores, and even a fairgrounds. A beautiful school was built in 1906, but by 1914 mining all but died out. The school was abandoned in 1943 and torn down. In the ensuing years, the automobile led people to bigger towns, and Chesaw declined at an increasing rate. Fire raced through the town in 1950 and again in 1959.
© All Rights Reserved